- 2 pounds potatoes (I used the last of a 5-lb. bag from Igl Farms)
- 1 finely diced shallot (2 – 3 tablespoons, diced)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cidar vinegar
- salt and ground black pepper
- 3 hard boiled eggs*
- 1 small bunch chives, sliced thinly (about 1/3 cup)
- 3/4 cup mayonaise, plus more as necessary
- about 1/8 teaspoon celery seed (optional)
Place potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, and add 1 – 2 TBLS coarse salt. Boil for 15 minutes and start checking for doneness – poke with a fork. You want them to be done, but not soft enough to mash. While the potatoes are cooking, combine the shallot, sugar, vinegar, and salt and pepper in a bowl large enough to mix the salad. Drain the potatoes and when they’re cool enough to handle, peel them and cut them into chunks, into the bowl with the shallot-vinegar mixture. Toss the potatoes with the vinegar mixture, and let cool. Add the eggs, chives and mayonaise, and celery seed if using. Mix gently, and taste for seasoning, adding more salt, pepper, vinegar, sugar or mayo if necessary. Makes 6 – 8 cups.
*To hard boil eggs, place eggs in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, and boil for 13 minutes. Drain the hot water, and flood the pot with cold water, until the eggs are cooled. Peel.