I had a nice little day after birthday party last night, but I took no pictures at all. I meant to … Even though I’ve always been a birthday pie kinda girl – as is my entire family, boys and girls and even the married-ins – I wanted cake this year, so I baked myself a birthday cake, spice cake with raspberry filling and cream cheese frosting. The part that didn’t get eaten last night is depicted below (not to mention – because I am mentioning – I got a nice fingerful of frosting off the cover when I went up to shoot the leftover cake).
We also ate:
- baked Brie, wrapped in puff paste with a layer of American Spoon tomato jam
- goat cheese with sundried tomato pesto
- do-it-yourself smoked salmon canapes – cocktail rye, cucumbers, the smoked salmon (one hunk brought as a host gift by a visiting friend from Seattle; another hunk I let Costco bring from Seattle), and horseradish cream
- Aged Gouda to put on crackers with pickled onions and peppadews
- muskmelon from my CSA box cut in wedges
- $25 worth of chocolate from Trader Schmoes – Toblerone, chocolate covered ginger and chocolate covered cherries, and chocolate-raspberry sticks
- fresh corn salsa layered dip – the salsa, refried beans, and sour cream – I liked the corn salsa a lot more without the overly cumin-seasoned canned refried beans – good thing everyone ate up the layered dip, and there’s still a while bucket of plain salsa leftover.
- Little ham & jaarlsberg sandwiches on sliced pretzel rolls – ate my first pretzel roll at the State Fair Wednesday, with a Usinger’s sausage in it, and then voila, Sentry had the rolls by the box on Friday morning